Reflective Journal: 13th October 2016

As our T.I.E project will be devised by ourselves in groups, the purpose of this session was to split into two groups and devise a short T.I.E piece based off a subject given to us. The aim was to think about a topic within that subject which we could use to create a short piece and perform in the second half of the lesson.

I was put in a group with Jack, Harry and Leah and we were given Science as our subject. We started off by writing down the different topics that we remembered learning in Primary School, including: Materials, The Food Chain, Caterpillar Evolution, Properties, Electricity, Plants, Life Cycles and Health. One thing that we all remembered learning about was the life cycle of a frog, this is what I remembered most because at my primary school, we had a pond at the back. Because of this, this is what we focused our piece on.


We wanted to have a structure to our piece so thought of the different stages of a frog, we were able to find this image on ‘Visual.ly’ (2014):

Image result for life cycle of a frog
Life Cycle of a Frog 

(http://visual.ly/lifecycle-frog)

Although we would not be performing to children today, we still needed to ensure that the piece was simple enough so that children would be able to understand. While practising, we also remembered our voice sessions with Lynn and how the range of our voices should change to keep children interested. We made sure that we used some of the facts we found from this diagram because it is a Theatre In Education exercise and there had to be information which would teach our audience. In terms of learning materials, while we were performing, we used audience interaction for our piece where Josh came up on stage. However, to improve, we could have developed this further by getting him to interact with all of us. Because of a lack of time, we didn’t use any other learning materials although we considering putting in a song. However, we were looking at songs that may be too complicated for children and too long.

For the performance, we were able to add facts in, but I feel there was too much talking to the audience and not enough giving facts, although repetition is important when teaching children, I feel we spent more time repeating facts than giving out new information. If there was more time, I would have also used a lot more movement because in our piece, I was the egg, Harry was the tadpole, Leah was the froglet and Jack was the frog. Because of this, we all stayed in the same place, except Jack who was the storyteller, to improve, I would have had it so we all switched places and seen the development from one to the other.

The other group were given History as their topic and chose to devise a piece on the Great Fire of London. Compared to our group, I feel they were a lot more prepared and had much more material. They all interacted a lot more with each other, had a lot of movement and made themselves the fire and the buildings. They also used ‘London’s Burning’ which is a tune that everyone could easily sing along with.

This session made me realise just how important the research is on the curriculum because the curriculum changed in 2014 so will be very different compared to the curriculum what I was at Primary School. I found this session challenging as we struggled to get an idea at first and then we had to ensure it would be simple enough for a key stage 1 and 2 audience. However, it gave an early insight to our task ahead and we were able to work well as a team to get a structured piece.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s